Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Sidney Crosby Snub Affair.

Okay sports fans, here we go……

I understand that things are pretty slow in the sports world now that the NBA finals and Stanley Cup playoffs are finished, but are things really so bad that the sporting press has resorted to inventing shit to write about? I mean, come on, couldn’t you write about something relevant like, oh I don’t know, the Lakers winning the NBA championship, or Phil Jackson record tenth title as a coach? Well, apparently not. It’s just as well though: it’s probably a bad idea to have everyone writing about the Lakers, and if these guys didn’t go out and print bonehead stories like this one I wouldn’t really have anything to write about at the moment. So I guess everyone wins.

Right then, now to the ‘scandal’. Apparently the red wings (that’s right, you lose capital letter privileges for this one) and the media (some of them at least) are up in a huff over the length of time it took the Penguins to line up to shake hands after game seven last Friday. henrik “pretty boy” zetterberg (NO CAPS FOR YOU!) complained that Sidney Crosby never shook his or some of his teammates’s hands after the game. I managed to see this part of the action on Friday and this sounded funny to me, so I dug up the footage on YouTube and my suspicions were confirmed. Not only did detroit line up to shake hands quicker (30 seconds), but niklas lidstrom (the detroit captain who criticized Crosby for not leading his team through the handshake) didn’t even lead detroit through the handshake himself either. What….the…..fuck. But to complicate an already ridiculous discussion even further, I should note that detroit does have a point. I mean, it took Pittsburgh a whole twelve seconds longer to come and shake hands and, where I come from, people get their knees broke for that kind of thing. Alright….maybe not. But there are neighborhoods out there where that sort of thing does happen, and I’m pretty sure that they probably don’t give a fuck about a bunch of washed up crybabies quibbling over etiquette. And, other than delusional red wings fans, I’m pretty sure that no one else really cares either.



Oh, and PS to the sporting press corps: C’mon man…..



0.6/10


John E. Ryall

No comments:

Post a Comment